7.16.2007

An Educational Need

Today in class, I evaluated some educational needs that exist in my own school. In spite of the many areas in which my school excels, I thought of a few needs which I can have a part in "fixing." Since my colleague and I are getting a SMARTboard next fall, I would like to focus in on the SMARTboard. However, one of the serious issues that I would like to address is that we would like to implement SMARTboards school-wide, and have a part in developing the plan for the school. I would like to tackle this issue because I feel that it's a bigger picture of what's going on in my school. But, my colleague Jason suggested that I keep the focus small. I heeded his wisdom, and so my focus will be on an educational need inside my classroom. I find that Geometry students have a difficult time visualizing the concepts that we cover in class, and I as a teacher have a hard time supplementing my teaching with good visual aids. I hope to find a tool that integrates technology to help remedy this issue. In addition, I hope to increase student engagement with whatever visual aids that I find. In order to best evaluate my solution, I will focus on the 8th chapter of our Geometry book, which deals with triangles and Trigonometry. This chapter is very visual, and I want to increase my students' Trigonometry abilities so that they are better prepared for their next class.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea, that is to follow my advice. (To all those out of the loop, I'm the infamous "Jason"). I think your idea sounds concise and doable. It might even free up a little of that old free time you were talking about earlier.

"Jason"

iroberto71 said...

I am curious what your research will entail. Will you research teaching techniques, visual aids or, different ways to present material (constructivism, scaffolding maybe>>>>)? Good luck make sure you stay on track.